Trick of Treat ramblings
Sunday will Logan's first Trick or Treating Halloween. He's never been before and honestly, if I thought we could avoid him asking to go once he saw other kids candy begging I'd skip it again this year. He's been talking about it all month. He practices, standing at a pretend door holding out his little pumpkin basket on a cheap plastic stick, saying "Trick or Treat!" At one point the whole phrase, by the way, was "Trick or Treat. Thank you, I throw it in the garbage." I have no idea why he was throwing away imaginary candy as he came up with that totally on his own. The only things he would not throw out was imaginary peanut butter cups and M&Ms.I asked him a month or more ago what he might want to be for Halloween. And he told me very clearly and with certain determination "I will be Tommy Engineer." Translation for those not inside Logan's head, that is very simply a train engineer, Tommy meaning Thomas the Tank Engine. This idea suited me just fine as it would require the simple purchase of a red bandana then use of existing items. He's wearing his denim overalls, a white shirt underneath, the red bandana tied around his neck and the blue stripped Engineer hat he got from Foodtown last year when he was complaining that their train was broken. I've managed to pry the store's log from the front of it. We tried on the hat and bandana already and Logan was in his glory. In fact, his train catalog has a photo of a young boy dressed as an engineer. The boy stands awkwardly with one leg bent and twisted to almost point in as he sets his hands on his hips - elbows out to the side. As soon as I put the hat and scarf on Logan he assumed this pose and said "Look, like boy in my catalog!"
Lately we've been playing a Toddlerfied version of "I spy" as we go on our walks or drive through neighborhoods on our way to somewhere. We're looking for Halloween decorations. Logan loves the game, his particular favorites being those silly, overpriced, blow-up things - the ones people pay to run generators of air to inflate continuously. This afternoon he started yelling happily from his car seat "Look! I see Franken! A big giant Franken!" I glanced over and sure enough, there was Frankenstein. I have no idea why he knows to do this - to shorten names as nicknames - but he's always done it (case in point, when he decided on his own to shorten Thomas to Tommy). Apparently monsters are not excluded from this. At the church pumpkin festival Sunday Logan made a few Halloween themed foam magnets. He brought home a little Frankenstein head to do when we got to Grandma's. We told him what it was - the monsters whole name - and from that point on, Franken had a nickname.
<< Home