18-month reflections
We just got back from Logan's 18-month check up and I figured it was as good a time as any to do a little catch up on what's happening with him/us. First the stats - He's now 24 pounds and 10 ounces & 32 inches tall exactly. Per the doctor he's developing and growing just perfectly. Of course, this is also after she thought I was being difficult because I couldn't enumerate the number of words he says. Telling her "He says a lot" was not sufficient enough. Oh well.So yes, let's talk about talking - Logan doesn't stop unless he's asleep and even then, sometimes he talks. He says more words than we can count now and he uses them in sentences - small ones, but still in sentences. He's got a firm grasp on the art of pronouns - Elmo eat your heart out!
For example, last night I said to him "Logan aren't you getting sleepy?"
And Logan said "I am not" as he darted by me and into the kitchen half dressed in his PJs.
His speech isn't about labeling things as it used to be 6 months ago - its about communicating. He'll very clearly tell you what it is he wants - whether its something to eat ("Eat cereal bar?), something to do ("Play trains?) or somewhere to go ("Mommy, go car! Peez!" he says as the doctor pokes and prods.)
He still loves his alphabet toys. Now he's associating words with various letters - not that he's reading, but he will pick out a letter and share based on what he's been told, what words starts with it. For example "D - Daddy. Donald. M-Mommy, P-PaPa, L- me" He will also pick out a few words from memory when he sees them in print - namely ZOOM - he can always pick that word out! He's started to learn some phonics - although he doesn't always like saying much more than "Ppppah" for every letter he sees. ;) P always has been his favorite letter. He'll walk around with an H in his hand sometimes telling you "Hhha, hhhha, Harold Hehcocker."
We play hide and seek A LOT in our house. When we seek and wait for Daddy to hide, I hold Logan close and count to 10 - within the last weekor so, Logan's starting to count to 10 on his own. Actually he gets to 9...10 typically comes out as "GO!" This also includes when he's counting objects -- Un shoe, Two, Tree, Or, I've, Seeks, Evan, Eight, Nigh, GO! If he's hiding and seeking - and gets bored of waiting to seek he'll just skip to nine. Last time he played I was counting with him and he kept yelling NINE GO after every single number as if he could trick me into leaving our space sooner.
When we're not playing, eating or sleeping, we're reading. We actually read a lot per Logan's request. The kid lusts after books. He LOVES them. It quite honestly is not exaggerating to say that if books were chocolates we'd be worried about his weight and teeth. ha! He'll be in the middle of destroying our latest block creation (Yelling "ZAZILLA!" As he does it) and stop short, run to the book case where his ever growing collection is stored. He'll pull out a number of books looking for exactly the one he wants and then he'll bring it to whoever is closest saying "Read?" as he turns around, backs into your lap and plops himself down. We've started pointing to the words as we read assuming at some point he'll make a connection between the words on the page and what we're saying to him
He still loves to eat peas, a pasta, and chicken. He loves his cheese and yogurt. He adores cereal bars. He loves chocolate - LOVES it. He loves vanilla pudding. He feeds himself now. The spoon and things like yogurt he has some trouble with - but he's a pro with the fork! Occasionally he'll get frustrated - fling the fork aside and revert to fingers. He's a work in progress. ;)
He's got a sense of humor that just bowls me over every day. He did something in the doctor's office now that I honestly forget - but I do remember it was a great example of his humor. He'll just say or do something so deadpan then he'll look at you with this twinkle in his eye and a half crooked smile as if to say "HA! Gotcha!"
I guess that's it. I could easily go on for ages. ;) I'm sure you're glad I don't. ha!
<< Home