A little more of this and that. . .
The move updateA week and a half into this new sleeping arrangement and things are still grand. Logan adores his new room and has taken to the bed better than we could have hoped. Dare I say bedtime is almost even easier than it had been before - and before it was pretty darn easy. He doesn't get up in the middle of the night, at least not that he makes us aware of any other way then turning his music on.
He spends tons of time in that new space of his playing with his Hot Wheels on his new rug. The only downside to that is he also enjoy pushing said cars/trucks under the bed and then laughing as he demands a big person get the broom to sweep them out to safety. Nice.
What did you say?
One day he'll stop surprising us - maybe . . .
When leaving a birthday party Sunday Logan dropped a little stuffed baseball in the car.
L - Mommy, get my ball please!
Me - Where is it? Where did it go? (Not really expecting him to tell me.)
L - Right there Mommy. It by you.
Sure enough it was under my seat.
Today at ShopRite I gave him a choice of carts - the ones that look like cars to drive or your traditional carts (which require a quarter deposit in the box so that you'll be nice and return them to a central location not smashed into someone else's car.)
L - Hmmmm, I think I want, let's see, that one. (he says pointing to a regular old cart.) Mommy got money for it?
Little Engineer
One of Logan's renewed interest is the wooden tracks that go with his Thomas trains. He has them at Gram's (and don't tell but Megan has gotten him a set for his room as a "Hey, there big brother" gift she'll give him when she arrives.) He has spent hours on end the last two days there building his own combinations of track set ups. He builds, he plays, he rebuilds. He's loving it. When he's here sans his tracks he pushes his trains around the living room in elaborate paths. He's also more than content to play with his "Geos" (aka GeoTrax) and to try to see what else that poor little train can push around - another trucks, plastic trees, etc.
The zoo
Last week we took Logan to the zoo for the first time - not a huge zoo. A small, but big enough for now, free admission zoo in Cape May. He had a blast and still - a week later - talks about all we did and saw there. Can't read a book with animals in it without him telling you he saw that "Aminal" in the zoo. He seems parrticularly smitten with the "Gah-ger-affes" (giraffes) and the Cheetahs.
I do myself
This has been one of his most favorite phrases the last several months. I do it myself! Well also last week we took him over to the Boardwalk in Point Pleasant to go on the rides - and do it himself he did. For the first time ever Logan asked to ride the kiddie rides on his own. AND, he happily did so. He road the firetrucks about 4 times, the boats twice, the little cart and horse once. He'd have gone more if he could have but we ran out of tickets. He also got Daddy on the big train, the little ferris wheel (which he calls "The view ride") and the truck ride. That day, of course, I did not have my camera with me. We'll get photos next time.
Mechanically inclined
Among his birthday gifts from Grandma and Papa, was a set of plastic HomeDepot tools so Logan would stop trying to take everyone else's. Well today he was driving around the backyard in his little VW Beetle when he decided it needed a tune up.
"Mommy, I need my screwdriver!" he called out repeatedly until I relented and went in side to find the screwdriver. I handed him the blue handled flat head. "No, Mommy!" he said, in a tone that reeked of 'Girls, what do they know about tools!' attitude. "I need my Philip head one. My red screwdriver!"
So back in I went for the red handled Phillips head. When he was well armed with the right tool, he set to work. He found all the small opening around the inside of his car where screws did in fact reside, and set to work poking his screwdriver in it and turning. No, the thing didn't work well enough to loosen any. I did check that. Satisfied he had fixed whatever it was that was bugging him, he tossed his tools on the ground and went back to driving "to Paris" as is his latest favorite destination.
Moon over China. . .
One recent morning we saw the last vestiges of the moon in the early (ok it was actually 7am) morning sky. Logan was thrilled since the moon is rarely out when he's still awake anymore. About a half hour later he went back to the sunroom to try to find the moon and was utterly dismayed to find it gone.
L - Oh my! Moon is gone! Mommy, where it go?
SO I decide to be honest about it and not make up some story about the moon going to sleep or hiding etc. I tell him that as the Earth spins to change it from night to day the moon ends up in view on the other side of planet where we can't see it.
Me - See, come here, let's look on your globe.
And I pull down off his toy box the actually made for 8 and up Leap Frog Globe Logan has. I ask him to find where we live...and he does, poking the stylus at the United States, which he says along with the male voice the poke initiates. I then spin the globe around to the other hemisphere and I explain that since its day where we live now and we can see the sun, this side of the planet sees the moon.
Logan studies his globe for a moment and then says "Oh! Moon in China!" and he pokes his stylus at the large land mass sitting before him. "China" says the male voice.
Trying to spell
We've gotten into the habit of spelling things for Logan - not to get our message over his head, but to make that next step from loving his books and memorizing them to reading them. We'll tell him "See that word - Z-O-O spells zoo."
The other day on the way home from Gram's house I ask Logan went he did that day. "Got Tommy Tracks" he says - and he had indeed gotten more tracks. Then I hear "K, W, N, Y, Z, T, Tommy Tracks." It took me a minute before I realized he was trying to spell.
<< Home