All About the Boy!

7.15.2004

What a memory

Shortly after migrating Logan's room to "big boy status," he and I spent oodles of time one afternoon reading book after book in his bed. Among that stack was a book by one of my favorite author's - Shel Silverstein. I bought the book, The Giving Tree, shortly after Logan was born yet we had never before read it. When we were done with story time that day the books went back on their shelf and we didn't touch Silverstein's book again. Instead we'd read the books kept in the living room during the day, and then each night we'd read the same three (Mommy's Best Kisses, Rainbow Fish, Sleepy Bears) at night before the infamous "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear" reading per Logan's request.
 
Tonight though he stumped us. Tonight he asked Daddy to read. He told us specifically he wanted the "green book." We racked our brains. The green book? What was that? The Construction Site? "No," he'd say in response, "the green one."
 
So I asked, no assuming that if he knew he'd tell me, "Logan, what is the story about."
 
And he said "The boy climbs the tree."
 
It took me a moment to realize what he was talking about. I stood from his bed and glanced quickly at the hutch housing books over his new big boy desk. The green book. The boy climbing a tree. The Giving Tree.
 
I took the book from the shelf and showed it to him. "This one?" I asked him. He clapped and smiled wide.