All About the Boy!

1.21.2005

Colin Powell's Youngest Fan

True story. . .

For Christmas we got Logan "A is for America" by Lynn Cheney. The book can be over his head a bit if you read every word on every page - but if you stick to just the main pieces (A is for America, land that we love. B is for Birthday of this great nation of ours. . . ) he really enjoys it. The book has spurred a lot of conversation with him about Presidents. A typical Q&A now looks like this:

Me - Who is the President?
Him - George Bush
Me - Do you know who the VICE President is?
Him - Dick Cheney
Me - Very good. What about the very first President?
Him - George Washington
Me - Right. Who is Daddy's favorite President?
Him - Abraham Lincoln
Me - Right again. How about this - which President had red hair like you?
Him - Jefferson!

So yesterday we took the opportunity to watch the inaguration a little and show Logan who some of these present day people where. He was fascinated by the fact President Bush's parents were there and he insists that Senator Trent Lott was Dick Cheney's Daddy. The camera panned the crowd and showed Colin Powell. Well why not, I told Logan who he was and that he had been the Secretary for State. Then I explained what that meant - that the Secretary of State worked for the President on trying to get other countries to work with us on different 'projects.' (Projects is a concept he understands.) Well Logan dutifully repeated the name back to me as he stared at Powell on the screen.

Today we were talking again about all these folks. I asked him if he remembered seeing Colin Powell on TV. He did. Then I told him that Powell was about to step down from the job of Secretary of State and new person would take over.

Me - Can you say Condalezza Rice?
Logan - No, I can't.
Me - What about just Condalezza?
Logan - No.
Me - Ok, what about Condi?
Logan - Nope.
Me - Rice?
Logan - No, I can't.
Me - I bet you can if you tried.
Logan - No. I can't. I'm too upset.
Me - Upset? Why are you upset?
Logan - Because Colin Powell is gone.
Me - Huh? Well Ms. Rice is nice too.
Logan - Colin Powell has toys.
Me - I bet he does, but I bet Condalezza Rice does too.
Logan - No, she don't. I just upset. I like Colin Powell.