Big milestones
This past week Logan has hit too big "2nd year" milestones - he's completely given up his bottle AND he's used his potty.The bottle came first. He had a cold about a week ago. Nothing more than an annoying stuffy head with the occasional runny nose. He tried to drink from his bottle those nights but the overwhelming need to breathe through his mouth made it somewhat impossible. He'd work at it for a bit then he'd push the nipple off to one side and just chew. After a bit he'd push it away and say "Mommy, night-night." We'd brush his teeth and go about the rest of our routine.
As he got better though, the bottle consumption did not improve. In fact he took even less than he had when he was sick. He pretty much just used the nipple to chew on. On Tuesday night I finally said to him "Logan, you really don't have to have the bottle if you don't want it." And apparently he didn't want it.
On Wednesday we started with the option - you can have your milk in a bottle or a sippy cup. "Green sippy" he said. So a green sippy it was. We read two stories, brushed teeth, said our prayers, gave a kiss and off he hopped into his crib (or the baby bed as he now calls it since the twin bed with newly added rails in that room is called the "big boy bed.") Each night since it's been the same - sippy cup while we read stories, brush teeth, prayers, kisses, bed. He's not even asked about the bottle when he sees one in his books.
The potty came tonight. We've not been actively potty training. Like many things we do with our little guy we're following his lead and letting him dictate the pace on these milestones. We have a training potty. We talk about the potty. We talk about him using the potty. We let him sit on it and play around - getting used to the idea of it. He follows everyone else in to the potty when he can. But he's never been willing to sit on it without his diaper on - and preferably also with his pants on. Sure, he's actually gone to the bathroom on his potty - but he did so in his diaper.
Tonight, he was looking for me as I emerged from the hallway coming back from the bathroom.
He happily sang out "Mommy potty! Mommy potty!"
I smiled and said "Do you have to go potty?"
"I try!" he yelled and ran to his little training potty. He sat on it promptly - fully clothed as always - and said "pee! Pee! PEE!"
Me - "Logan you know when you're ready to try it we can take your diaper off and you can pee in the potty. Then we'll put it in the big potty and you can flush!"
He lept up off the potty and got focused in on his stacking blocks. So I, seeing by the clock that it was bath time, started pulling his clothes off him. He stopped what he wad doing and stood there wearing just his diaper. "PEE!" he yelled and he ran back to his potty. "I sit. I pee."
Me - "Ok. You know, we can take off that diaper if you really want to pee on the potty."
Logan - "Diaper off!" He stood up and started pushing on his diaper trying to remove it. I took it off him and he sat on his potty once more, singing out "Pee pee pee pee!"
And he did. Yes he peed. A lot.
So I yell out "Daddy! COME QUICK!" then I focused back on my little guy and cheered wildly. "YAY! Logan you did it! Good job!"
And daddy comes running down the hall and cheered like a nut while Logan smiled proudly.
He got up off his potty and we emptied it in the big toilet. He flushed by himself while he waved at he bowl saying "Bye bye pee pee!"
We put the potty all back together and Logan immediately sat back down upon it. "Do again. I pee again." he said. Ok, if you want to we both responded. And so he did - again. "I did it!" he screeched out happily. "I pee on potty! I did it! YAY!" And then we flushed again.
<< Home