All About the Boy!

2.06.2004

Reader in the works

Logan has always adored his books. He was turning pages at 3 months old and has never looked back. Lately I've found time to read around him. He'll be doing something and I'll get to sneak in a few pages of whatever has my interest at the moment. Coincidently, he's also become interested in "reading" to himself recently. I'm not sure if this is from watching me or just the next step in his development. Or maybe even both.

This morning he climbed up into his favorite seat in the house - Daddy's recliner. Logan made himself at home and grabbed his new James book (as in the red train in the Thomas the Tank Engine genre.) He's already memorized this short short story - particularly his favorite page. The book mimics one of the segments of the Thomas DVD we have. The trucks play a trick on James and he must go back down the hill to gather the ones that have unhooked. He struggles to get them all up the hill again and when he does he shouts out "I'VE DONE IT, I'VE DONE IT!" Sure enough, Logan flipped to this page and staring at it called out "I done it! I done it!"

He does this with other books too. He can "read" some of his "I'm a Big Brother" book. Sure, in this one he points to the various pictures and tells himself a story as he goes.

On Tuesday he did this with a newspaper. Gram, lacking other car entertainment for Mr. Potts, handed Logan the newspaper to look at. He held it up in front of his face and began to chatter. When asked what he was doing, Logan merely lowered one edge of his paper and stared back at Gram before returning to the news.