All About the Boy!

12.11.2004

Almost 2 and half

At the end of this month Logan will be two and half years old officially. Wow. For some reason that seems so much closer to three than it does to two. I figured I'd do the 'update' now because otherwise I'd have to find the clarity of mind to do it Christmas week. Nowadays its better to just do things that require the coherent thought when you can muster that ability.

Always a big talker, Logan's language skills just exploded over the last six months. There is very little he does not articulate and articulate well. In fact tonight he showed off his song writing capabilities. He and I went out to look at Christmas lights. We sang Christmas songs along with the radio. As Jingle Bells began to play Logan belted out (to the tune of the song) "We're driving in our car. We're looking lots of lights and having lots of fun."

He is still longing to read on his own, which we work on when the mood strikes him. He does his phonics books and games, works on the exercises in the rhyming book and just sits and recites the books he has memorized. Tonight while we read one of his books I over enunciated the words "Mom" and "Dad" then asked Logan to find them on the page. He did. Both of them. I've also started to assign him parts of books to read - not as in the homework sort of way, but in a "keep up the bouncing finger along the text of this story and you fill in the words I know you know by heart." Tonight his line was "I love you" throughout the book "How much I love you." By the end of the tale he was saying 'his' lines as he ran his finger over each word. He was so proud of himself when we were done with the book. He smiled a beaming smile and said "Mommy! I READ!"

He loves to play with his trains - anything trains will do, but he truly loves his Thomas and Friends collection. He gets on the floor - a vehicle in either hand - and he does the talking for them. "Help me Jack! The Bridge falling!" to which the red, smiling, front loader in his right hand replies "Don't worry Tommy! I save you!"

His imagination is boundless. He is even inventing his own language. I'm not sure why or how he came up with this, but he makes up various 'words' and when we dare to admit we're clueless to what he's saying, he tells us what his word means. I think this started around the time we told him Megan's cooing sound "Ahh-goo" meant "I love you" in baby talk. :)

He loves to create. We make lots of 'arts and crafts' of all sorts of various shape and size. Anything he can glue or attempt to cut with his plastic round tipped scissors is worth doing. We often use this crafty time to learn about new things. Last month it was Thanksgiving. This month we talk about the various holidays in December.

Speaking of holidays . . .Logan has a wicked sweet tooth and LOVES chocolate. When we read a story about Hanukkah and he learned that he could win chocolate coins if he played driedel he asked me to get him one to play with. His favorite part of advent to date is the calendar he gets to open a door on each morning - because he gets a piece of chocolate when he does.

Lately he's adopted this stuffed hippo of his as his baby. It wears a diaper and a shirt Megan has abandoned. It has socks she never wears. It goes everywhere with us. It has a car seat. It gets fed. It gets bathed in the no-longer-used-infant-bathtub. It gets rocked to sleep with lullabyes. It gets hugged and kissed a whole lot. It takes naps when Megan does so Mom and Logan can play alone. It goes to sleep in the big boy bed, tucked nicely under the covers. Sometimes its a girl baby named Megan. Other times he refers to it as "Little Logan." Either way, he's a pretty good parent - if you ignore the fact the baby gets pulled along by its ear sometimes and other times its carried in a choke hold.

Logan loves to cook. He sits in his chair with his own bowl and spoon when we bake. Mixing small bits of ingredients as he goes and chattering away as he does. If he's not given this chance then he's sneaking the dog's food into an empty bowl so he can 'cook' her food.

He loves to snuggle. He loves to dance. He loves going to his Sunday School class. He loves Gymboree. He loves hanging out with other kids and playing. He loves helping care for his baby sister.

He loves to do things on his own - he's started undressing on his own (and does a lot of the 'dressing' by himself too when he's in the mood). Each time he masters a task he beams with pride and makes a mad dash to tell someone close to him that didn't witness the event first hand. He's still toying with the idea of the potty and has figured out the concept of being sneaky. He sits on the potty and tells me he peed in the hopes that it'll earn him a car. I think he succeeded once but since I had to leave him for a moment to get a screaming Megan I couldn't be 100% sure he didn't go just a bit. My gut says he pulled one over on me...but that's ok. He did make one heck of an effort that day so down came one of the 'potty prizes' we have stored over the medicine cabinet.

He loves being two. I keep telling him that when someone asks him how he is now he can say he's two and half...and he yells at me, "No Mommy! I not two half. I TWO!"

So I say back to him "Well yes you are, but you're moving closer to your birthday - you're half way there so we say 2 and half. What are you going to say when its your birthday in June?"

"I say I three."