All About the Boy!

8.05.2004

Requests Anyone?

Logan loves music. He enjoys your typical toddler assortment of Wiggles and Playhouse Disney songs. He also, though, loves the Oldies. Yes, this kid loves the kind of music your average "Oldies" station plays with wild abandon. In fact, his favorite radio station is Oldies 100.7 located downtown.

Of the multi-decades worth of tunes he has to choose from, Logan's decided his favorite (at least for now) is Chain Gang by Sam Cooke. He knows at least the chorus and gets downright giddy when he hears it start to play. The other day we found a short clip of the song on-line. Logan asks to have that clip play repeatedly every day since. And so today, out of need to hear more than just those 4 lines of verse, we stepped into another "first" for Mr. Logan. . . he requested a song from a radio station.

I thought of letting him call, but instead we used their online request form. We put in his name, the town, my email address and the song he wanted. About a half hour later, as I started to prepare lunch for us, Logan came running into the kitchen breathless.

"Mommy, Mommy! Come! Hurry! My song! Radio play Chain Gang for Logan!" he said excitedly.

Sure enough as I got in the living room there it was in all its glory - The sound of the men working on the Chain Gang. I can only guess by his repeated declarations that they were playing it *for* him, that the DJ must have mentioned his name and our town. Either that or Logan was associating the fact that I told him we were asking them to play it as we filled in the request form with the result.

Either way - the kid made it through another 'first' in his life.