Wink, Wink and other stuff. . .
There are things I keep forgetting to write about so I'll just lump them in yet another unrelated combo of disjointed thoughts.Wink Wink
Logan has figured out all on his own, with no one hinting at it or coaxing him, how to wink. Sort of. One day Grandma winked at him and then asked him if he could wink back. He paused a moment then lifted one hand to his face, pulled one eye lid shut and smiled wide as he "winked".
Snaps
Similarly Logan has decided he can snap his fingers too. He tries so very hard. He really does. He watches us snap along to his oldies station and then he holds out both his hands rubbing his thumb across his pointer and middle fingers. Yeah, he makes a sound - sort of like corduroy pant legs rubbing together.
Music Man
Logan has always enjoyed his music. And he's been a little crooner for quite a while, but lately he's actually getting the idea that singing isn't just about monotone repetition of lyrics. He's changing notes. He's attempting to locate a tune and replicate it. Yeah, he's 2 and so he's still off-key most of the time, but he does in fact find the melody more often than not. Its so much fun to hear him latch onto a song and sort to go with it. He has his favorites that he'll sing on a whim - Chain Gang, the theme song to Disney's soon to be on Higglytown Heros, and thanks to Daddy the Alka Seltzer jingle. Then there are others that he hears on the radio that just send him into a tizzy of dancing and singing along.
Scary Stuff
I think, although I could be wrong, that Logan has had his first nightmare, or close enough to it anyway. And we can thank a Thomas book for it. The other day we took a book from the library per Logan's request - Thomas and the Monster under the shed. In the end of the tale, the monster is nothing more than a hedgehog, but before you get to that revelation there's a lot of talk about engine eating monsters complete with creeks and squeaks.
Wednesday afternoon we read the book. Thursday am I attmepted to move myself down the hall around 4am (don't ask) and I managed to locate one of the squeaky floor boards. Logan cried out for me. I could hear in his voice this wasn't a "I woke up and don't feel like going back to sleep on my own" cry. This was something more. I saw him through the sliver of the open door sitting on his toy box at the foot of his bed crying. And so I went in. He asked me to come to bed with him and snuggle...and so I did. This morning he was up again before the crack of dawn was even a faint idea. I calmed him with a quick story and left him in his room.
Tonight when we asked him what book he wanted to read for bed time his first response was "Not the scary book. No scary book." He was so very insistant that the offending "Tommy book" is now in Grandma's car and will soon find its way to the return bin at the library. I'm hoping the mere fact that we've removed the scary material from the house will help his poor little nerves. I even crawled on the floor to peer under his bed tonight to prove there were no monsters there - just a Hot Wheels car.
We'll see.
<< Home